Korean Bulgogi is a classic popular Korean dish, with succulent and flavorful marinated beef paired perfectly alongside a selection of Asian sides such as cucumbers, scallion, and kimchi. This dish is served traditionally as a banchan, or side dish, but can also be enjoyed as a main course. Grill your Bulgogi for added smoky flavor, and then enjoy this deliciously savory dish.
- 1 pound of flank steak, sliced into thin strips, or pre-sliced Bulgogi beef
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes, or chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sake or water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Optional: 1/4 cup of diced Asian pear
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients, reserving the sliced beef.
- Transfer the marinade with the beef to a plastic bag or container, ensuring the beef is fully covered. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- If you’re grilling the Bulgogi, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the Bulgogi for about 2-3 minutes per side, until slightly charred and cooked through.
- Serve with a selection of sides such as cucumbers, scallions, kimchi and white rice.
Bulgogi is a delicious and popular Korean dish that is enjoyed regularly in Korean households. With its sweet and savory flavor and tender marinated beef, it is sure to please a crowd. You can easily adapt the recipe however you like, adding or subtracting spices or marinade ingredients as you please. Enjoy this easy and flavorful dish!