Kettle-Fried Chicken: Crispy, Comforting, and Totally Devour-able
At its heart, kettle-fried chicken is nothing more than classic fried chicken with a Southern twist, but the adjustments in this recipe create a truly irresistible dish that’s sure to please everyone at the dinner table. Using a frying method made famous by the Kentucky Colonel and passed down through generations, this dish boasts beautiful golden-brown, perfectly crispy skin with perfectly seasoned tenders underneath. It’s a familiar comfort food that is sure to delight.
- 2–3 lbs (1 kg) of chicken pieces, legs, wings, and thighs
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 2–3 teaspoons of your favorite all-purpose seasoning (we recommend garlic powder, paprika, and Old Bay seasoning.)
- 1/2 cup of self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying (We recommend peanut oil for its high smoke-point and rich flavor.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, season the chicken pieces with the all-purpose seasoning, then pour the buttermilk over them to coat them and let them sit for 30 minutes. This will tenderize the chicken.
- While the chicken is marinating, set up your frying station. In a shallow bowl, combine the self-rising flour, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the all-purpose seasoning. Have a plate lined with paper towels ready for when the chicken is finished cooking. Prepare your oil for frying. Heat up a cast iron skillet or kettle with 3 inches of oil until it reaches 360 degrees Fahrenheit (182C) using a cooking thermometer.
- Once the oil is heated, shake off any excess buttermilk from the chicken pieces, then dip each piece into the flour-spice mixture, making sure they’re thoroughly coated. Carefully place the coated chicken pieces one at a time into the hot oil. Fry the chicken for 10 minutes, flipping them every couple of minutes. The chicken will be done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F (74C) or when the juices run clear.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the oil and let it drain on the paper-towel lined plate. Enjoy your crispy, flavorful kettle-fried chicken!
Kettle-Fried Chicken is a Southern classic, but it’s also a tasty, easy-to-make meal that anyone can make at home. Its crispy skin and tender, juicy interior coupled with the unique flavor of the all-purpose seasoning blend make it a standout dish that’s perfect for weeknight family dinners or special occasions. And while your first attempt may not be as crispy as the Colonel’s, it’s sure to be a delicious hit with all! Whether you’re looking for a simple meal to make for dinner, or want to make a dish to impress your guests, kettle-fried chicken is the way to go. Have fun experimenting with different spice mixers or changing up the buttermilk marinade to make this classic meal truly your own!