Ukrainian Kapusta Soup: A Delicious Combination of Traditions
If you’re looking for a savory dish that isn’t afraid to blend cuisines, look no further than Ukrainian Kapusta soup. This delectable dish combines Ukrainian and Polish influences and offers a truly unique culinary experience.
Kapusta soup is a hearty stew with vegetables and ground beef or pork. Its distinctive flavor is thanks to the combination of cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. The combination of these flavors achieved by simmering them all together until perfect gives Ukrainian Kapusta soup its classic succulent taste.
20 ounces beef (ground or chopped)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 head cabbage (shredded)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 potatoes (chopped)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent.
2. Add meat and cook until it’s browned.
3. Add cabbage, carrots, potatoes, diced tomatoes, and beef broth.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add dill, salt and pepper according to taste.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes more, or until vegetables are soft.
7. Serve hot with a garnish of fresh dill, if desired.
Ukrainian Kapusta soup is a perfect blend of cultures, tastes, and traditions. It’s a great way to experience the Eastern European flavor that’s so often enjoyed in this part of the world. This soup is perfect for a cold evening, or for any time you want to enjoy a satisfying and delicious dish that really stands out.
If you’re looking for other Eastern European favorites, why not try some of the other classic dishes. Golubtsy, Borscht, Vareniki, and Pirowhki are all must-tries on the Eastern European food trail. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your new favorite in the mix.