Jerk Chicken Sandwich: Sweet, Sticky, and Smoky
Sometimes the simplest meals make the most delicious memories. Such is the case with this incredible jerk chicken sandwich. This classic Caribbean-inspired sandwich mates smoky jerk chicken with sweet and slightly tangy coleslaw and a toasted bun to create a delicious contrast of flavors.
The combination of aromatics and spices used to season the chicken is the hallmark of traditional jerk chicken. The jerk marinade features a tantalizing blend of malagueta peppers, nutmeg, allspice, garlic, ginger, lime juice, scallions, thyme, and brown sugar to give it that unmistakeable sweet, smoky jerk flavor.
For the jerk marinade:
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 1 tsp. malagueta pepper
– 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 1 tsp. ground allspice
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp. ginger, minced
– Juice from 1 lime
– 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the sandwich:
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
– 2 hamburger buns
– 1/2 cup coleslaw
1. In a bowl, mix together the jerk marinade ingredients.
2. Place the chicken cubes in a glass dish and pour the marinade overtop. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F and move an oven rack to the top position.
4. Place the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through.
5. Toast the hamburger buns on a medium-hot skillet for a couple of minutes, until golden.
6. Assemble the sandwiches by layering jerk chicken and coleslaw on the buns.
7. Serve with extra lime wedges and enjoy!
The sweet, smoky jerk flavors combined with the creamy texture of the coleslaw create a luscious balance of flavors in this jerk chicken sandwich. Whether you enjoy it as a meal in itself or pair it with some Caribbean-style sides, it’s sure to be a hit!
For a spicy twist, you can also try adding some diced jalapeño peppers to the coleslaw or pairing the jerk chicken sandwich with a bit of hot sauce. And if you’re feeling adventurous, why not use the same marinade to make some classic Jamaican jerk chicken?
This jerk chicken sandwich is a delicious reminder that sometimes the most flavorful meals are made with the simplest ingredients. So come aboard, and let’s explore the amazing flavors of the Caribbean!