As one of the most popular and well known national cuisines in the world, Japanese food can be just the thing to make your standard menu something special. With their reverence for fresh and complex flavors and a focus on healthy, authentic ingredients, Japanese recipes can be a great way to mix things up in the kitchen. Experience the incredible world of Japanese cuisine for yourself and sorround yourself with all the wonderful flavours it has to offer.
Tuna sushi is a classic sushi dish that is enjoyed all across Japan. This dish is easy and quick to assemble, making it perfect for a dinner or party appetizer.
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 4oz canned tuna
- 4 tablespoons of Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- 10 sheets of nori
1. Begin by making the sushi rice. Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear, then add the rice and 1 & 3/4 cups of water to a saucepan over medium heat. Boil, stirring occassionally, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Then add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste, stirring until everything is well mixed. Once finished, spread the rice onto a non porous work surface and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
2. Next, mix together the tuna, soy sauce and avocado in a small bowl.
3. To assemble the sushi, lay out a sheet of nori and spread the cooled rice onto it. Use your fingers or a spoon to lightly press the rice into a thin layer and leave a 2 inch border at the top. Then top with the tuna mixture.
4. Carefully roll the nori sheet up from the bottom corner, using your hands to keep the sushi roll tight. When you reach the empty border at the top, dampen it with a little bit of water and use it to seal the roll.
5. Finally, cut the sushi roll into six even pieces and serve immediately.
For a heartier option, why not try beef sukiyaki? This flavorful dish is a traditional one pot meal with a unique blend of ingredients.
- 1/2 pound of thinly sliced ribeye steak
- 1/2 cup dashi
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of mirin
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup of sake
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
1. Begin by bringing the dashi, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to a gentle simmer in a pot over medium heat.
2. Once the mixture is hot, add in the steak and simmer until it is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Then add the vegetables and cook for a further 5-8 minutes.
3. Finally, add in the sake and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat and serve.
- 3 cups of dashi broth
- 3 tablespoons of miso paste
- 2 tablespoons of mirin
- 1/2 package of frozen tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of chopped scallions
1. Begin by heating the dashi broth in a pot over medium heat until it comes to a gentle simmer.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste and mirin until the two ingredients are fully combined.
3. Pour the miso mixture into the pot and stir until it is well mixed with the dashi broth.
4. Add the tofu, onion, mushrooms, ginger and scallions and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. Finally, turn off the heat and serve the miso soup hot.
Japanese cuisine is exploding with flavour and any one of these recipes can be the highlight of your next meal. Sorround yourself with all the incredible flavours and enjoy the amazing world of Japanese recipes.