Indulge in a Tasty Bite of Caribbean Flavor: Jamaican Hardough Bread
Jamaica has many delicious culinary treats to offer, but none so hearty and filling as Jamaican Hardough Bread. Unique to the nation, this hearty loaf of dough has been embraced by Jamaicans as a staple of their traditional diet and has even won the heart of many a tourist who has experienced its flavors and textures on their visit.
A cross between a flatbread chapati and a brioche, this Hardough Bread is made using various flours and buttermilk, bound together with oil, sugar and yeast. Once kneaded and left to prove, the dough is cooked for the golden-brown crust and the soft, fluffy centre that makes it irresistible. With a subtle, nutty flavour and the innate sweetness of the sugar, it’s no wonder why it’s been at the heart of Jamaican kitchens for generations.
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1 cup vegetable oil
· 2 cups buttermilk
· 2 tablespoons yeast
1. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Add the sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk and yeast then stir the mixture until everything is evenly combined.
3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave it to prove for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
5. Punch down the dough and divide it into 6-8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball and place them onto a greased baking tray.
6. Cover again and leave the dough to prove for about 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake the Hardough Bread for 30-35 minutes.
8. The Hardough Bread is done when it’s lightly golden-brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Nothing quite compares to the warm, comforting flavor of freshly-baked Jamaican Hardough Bread. Whether you enjoy it plain, or with a slathering of butter, it’s sure to bring the flavor of the Caribbean to your kitchen. And you’ll find it’s also the perfect complement to a variety of dishes, from stews and curries to simple horta and bean dishes.
So if you’re looking for a way to bring a bit of Jamaican flair to your regular meal rotation, give Jamaican Hardough Bread a try. Not only will it fill your kitchen with the delightful scents of the islands, it’ll also guarantee you a tasty and unforgettable experience!