A fiery assault on the taste-buds: J Gumbos Drunken Chicken
It’s not often that a dish manages to bring together a delightful mix of flavours in one unforgettable mouthful, but we think J Gumbos’ Drunken Chicken is an absolute must-try! This unique, slightly fiery fusion is sure to tantalise your taste-buds, whilst giving you the comfort of a classic home-cooked meal.
For those unfamiliar with this iconic dish, J Gumbos Drunken Chicken is a hot and spicy fusion of Southern and Latin American cooking. This hearty, zesty feast gets its flavour from the robust combination of spices, including cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and oregano — ultimately creating a dish with a fiery yet tangy punch. The star of the show, however, is undoubtedly the tequila. A generous splash of tequila adds a unique smoky complexity to the flavours and ensures this classic dish packs an unforgettable punch.
- 2 large pieces of chicken fillet
- 1/4 cup of tequila
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the tequila, onion, garlic, salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano and olive oil.
- Add the chicken fillets to the marinade and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover the chicken with cling film and leave to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium-high heat and fry the chicken for around 15 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and golden, remove from the pan and serve with your preferred accompaniments.
J Gumbos Drunken Chicken blends Latin American and Southern cooking to perfection, and it’s guaranteed to become one of your go-to meals this summer. This fiery dish is sure to awaken your taste-buds — just make sure you’re not pouring in too much tequila or else you’ll put the ‘drunken’ in Gumbos Drunken Chicken!
And if you found J Gumbos Drunken Chicken a little too intense for your palate, why not try our simpler Chilli Lime Chicken — find the recipe here!