Introduction to the Italian Mascarpone Cake Phenomenon
Have you heard the buzz surrounding the Italian Mascarpone Cake? Across the world, bakers are making a stir with this delectable dessert. And it’s bound to become even more popular in 2020! Let’s discover the secret behind the deliciousness of this craze, from taking a look at its recipe to the various variations you can make.
The Original Recipe for Italian Mascarpone Cake
Italian Mascarpone Cake is a classic dessert in Italy designed by the most talented of bakers. Below is the classic version of the recipe. All you need are these few ingredients and your taste buds will be delighted!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the mascarpone, then beat in the milk. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Variations of the Italian Mascarpone Cake
Although the original recipe packs a lot of flavor, there are many variations you can try. Here are a few of them:
Lemon Mascarpone Cake:
Adding a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and some lemon zest to the original recipe is all you need! The acidity of the lemon adds a wonderful tang to the sweetness of the cake.
Chocolate Mascarpone Cake:
Make the classic Italian Mascarpone Cake and add a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter before baking. The chocolate chips will melt and give it a rich, chocolaty flavor.
Tiramisu Mascarpone Cake:
Swap out half of the all-purpose flour in the original recipe with cocoa powder and a pinch of espresso powder. Also, add some liqueur (like Amaretto or Amaretto di Saronno) to the batter and top with a cream cheese frosting.
The Craze Over the Italian Mascarpone Cake
The Italian Mascarpone Cake is definitely a must-try for anyone wanting to delve into something ultra-tasty. With its simple ingredients and tasty variations, this is sure to make an impression at the dinner table. Be sure to give it a try the next time you are looking for a dessert to wow your guests!