Focaccia, a savory and salty Italian flatbread, is a staple in Italian cooking. It is a perfect base for rich and flavorful toppings, making it a favorite choice of breads around the world. Enjoy this recipe for a traditional Italian focaccia bread – it’s sure to tantalize your taste buds!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toppings of choice (e.g. olive oil, rosemary, herbs, cheese)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the water/yeast mixture, olive oil, and flour mixture together until a smooth dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover. Let sit at room temperature until doubled in size, about an hour.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and place into an oiled 9×13” baking dish.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise again for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using your fingers, press indentations into the focaccia dough. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, and top with your desired toppings. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious Italian focaccia bread!