Italian Eggplant Parmigiana
Eggplant Parmigiana is a traditional Italian casserole dish typically made with layers of eggplant, sauce and cheese. This delicious and hearty dish is a perfect vegetarian main dish or comforting side dish perfect for dinner. It’s easy to make and sure to be a hit with everyone.
• 2 large eggplants, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
• Chopped fresh basil, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Lay the eggplant slices in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the oregano.
3. Drizzle each sheet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and then rub the slices with the minced garlic.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the eggplant slices are soft and lightly golden.
5. Remove from the oven and set aside.
6. Warm the marinara sauce over low heat in a saucepan.
7. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
8. To assemble the parmigiana: Place a layer of eggplant slices and top with a thin layer of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle with a handful of mozzarella cheese. Top with another layer of eggplant, repeating with the marinara and mozzarella until all of the eggplant slices have been used. Sprinkle the Parmigiano Reggiano over the top of the casserole and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
9. Bake for 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the eggplant is tender.
10. Garnish with fresh basil and serve. Enjoy!