Indonesian Cookies: A Sweet Treat That Spells Comfort
The distinctive smell of Indonesian cookies wafting from the oven is enough to set tongues wagging – this tantalizing aroma is one of the hallmarks of Indonesian cuisine, and a reminder of the region’s delicious sweets. For those with a sweet tooth, this classic recipe for Indonesian cookies is sure to satisfy.
A unique mixture of coconut and nuts, these delectable treats come with a rich and complex flavor. The subtle sweetness that comes from the coconut is balanced with a hint of spiciness and a hint of floral notes too. All these fragrant flavors combine to create a unique treat that’s sure to bring a little piece of home no matter where you are.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 cups tightly packed brown sugar
– 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
– 1/2 cup ground pepper
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
– 1/2 cup butter
– 2 eggs
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, desiccated coconut, crushed pepper, and salt in a bowl and mix together.
3. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the dry ingredients, kneading until you have a crumbly mixture.
4. Beat the eggs then add to the flour mixture, stirring until everything is evenly distributed.
5. Roll the dough into thin logs, using your hands to press a line down the middle of each log.
6. Put the logs onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
7. Allow the cookies to cool before you dig in!
Indonesian cookies are the perfect accompaniment to an afternoon cup of tea or coffee, providing a comforting and delicious treat that’s bound to sweeten up any day. The scented flavors and the crunchy texture add intrigue to the traditional treat, while the spiciness ensures there’s a hint of heat too. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try making some other Indonesian treats, such as martabak or serabi? With a little effort, you can recreate a piece of true Indonesian cuisine in your own kitchen.