Delicious Indian Pakora Recipe
Pakoras are a guilt-free indulgence that originate from the Indian subcontinent. These savory bites are made from an array of simple ingredients and have a unique spicy and crunchy flavor. When these flavors are combined, pakoras turn an ordinary snack into a delicious treat for any occasion.
Pakoras have been a staple snack throughout the region for centuries and are still widely popular. They’re often served as a side dish, starter, or a light meal. If you’re ready to give pakoras a try, whip up a batch of this traditional Indian treat with this easy recipe.
• 2 cups of chickpea (or gram) flour
• 1 teaspoon of chili powder
• 1 teaspoon of cumin
• 1 teaspoon of coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
• 2 cups of water
• Salt to taste
• Oil for deep-frying
1. In a large bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, chili powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, onion, cilantro, and salt.
2. Slowly add the water to the mixture, whisking until it forms a thick batter.
3. Heat enough oil to cover over 1-2 inches of a deep, heavy-bottom pan.
4. When the oil is hot, drop a spoonful of the batter into the oil. Fry the pakoras on each side for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Work your way through the rest of the batter until all of your pakoras are cooked.
6. Serve your pakoras with a side of chutney or tamarind sauce. Enjoy!