Indian Aloo Paratha Recipe
Parathas are a favorite Indian staple all over the world. Aloo Parathas are particularly popular because they are a delicious combination of flavored potatoes and soft, flaky flatbread. This traditional recipe comes from northern India and is sure to delight your taste buds.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3-4 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center, then pour the warm water and ¼ cup vegetable oil into the well.
- Mix the flour and liquids together with your hands until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough for at least 5 minutes, or until it is soft and pliable. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the potato filling, combine the mashed potatoes, coriander powder, amchur powder, cumin powder, garam masala, and salt in a bowl. Mix together until all ingredients are combined.
- Divide the dough into six even portions. Roll each portion out into a thin round, then spoon a portion of the potato filling onto one side of the dough round.
- Fold the dough over the filling and seal the edges. Roll the dough out again into a thin round. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Grease with a little oil.
- Cook the paratha for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the paratha over and cook the other side until golden brown. Serve hot with yogurt or chutney.
Enjoy your freshly made Indian Aloo Paratha!