Ah, the deliciousness of hototay soup. A favourite Filipino soup of mine and my family, especially when it’s cold outside. No matter the time of year, this soup brings joy, warmth, and comfort to our hearts and homes.
What is Hototay Soup?
Hototay soup is a Filipino soup recipe that consists of egg, pork, ginger, garlic, and a few other simple ingredients. It is best served hot and with a side of steamed rice. It has all the deliciousness of traditional Filipino soups such as, sinigang and bulalo, but with a beautiful combination of flavours that set it apart. Hototay soup is a salty-sweet delight that satisfies the palate and warms the soul!
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 pound of pork, thinly-sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
4 tablespoons of fish sauce
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup diced shiitake mushrooms
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of diced carrots
1/2 cup of diced bell peppers
1/4 cup of diced celery
1/4 cup of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
Salt, black pepper and sugar, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add pork and stir-fry until it is cooked through and golden.
3. Add garlic and onion and stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Add ginger, fish sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
5. Add shiitake mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers and celery. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs, stirring the soup continuously in a circular motion. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sugar. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
8. Serve the hototay soup hot, with a side of steamed rice.
Tips and Variations
Other vegetables, such as spinach and watercress, can also be added for variety. Hototay soup can be adjusted to one’s personal tastes, by increasing or decreasing the amount of certain ingredients such as fish sauce, soy sauce or vegetables. You can also experiment with different types of mushrooms or even substitute different proteins.
No matter what the variation, hototay soup is a wonderful comfort food. It is perfect for a cold winter’s night or an autumn evening around the campfire. This warm, delicious soup reminds me of happy times shared with family and friends. I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I do!