A Tasty Treat: Hickory Nut Cake
Everyone loves a sweet treat, and this delicious hickory nut cake is sure to hit the spot! This inviting and flavorful creation combines the nutty notes of hickory nuts with the smoothness of cake for an irresistible flavor combination. Drawing its inspiration from classic Southern cooking, this cake is a classic example of how regional cooking can result in delicious dishes that are unlike any others.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup hickory nuts (or walnuts
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan and set it aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until smooth.
- Slowly add in the oil, then the buttermilk and vanilla, whisking everything together until it’s evenly combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and continue to mix until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Stir in the hickory nuts, and then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, the cake can be dusted with powdered sugar (optional).
The Perfect Combination of Sweet and Nutty
This hearty hickory nut cake is truly unique in its combination of savory hickory nuts and sweetness of the cake. The texture of the cake is light and moist, while the taste is sweet and nutty. An excellent dessert for any occasion, as well as a great addition to any brunch, this cake will definitely impress your guests.
This dish is also quite similar to other classic Southern cakes, such as the traditional “pumpkin nut loaf”, which has similar ingredients and a similar flavor. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try swapping out the hickory nuts for other types of nuts to create a fun and interesting flavor combination?
No matter how you choose to serve it, this hickory nut cake is sure to be a hit among guests. So grab your apron, preheat the oven, and get ready to indulge in a mouth-watering slice of this sweet treat.