Healthy Chicken and Waffles
Chowing down on chicken and waffles is a classic comfort food that can now be made with healthier, more nutritious ingredients. By using whole wheat flour, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, and fresh herbs, this version of the dish is both flavorful and good for you. Served with a light salad, these chicken and waffles are perfect for a cozy, nutritious lunch or dinner.
– 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
– 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 1 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon of salt
– 2/3 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves, chopped
– 3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil and honey. Then add in the Greek yogurt and eggs, mixing until smooth.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, then stir in the chopped thyme leaves.
5. Gently fold the chopped chicken into the batter. The mixture should be fairly thick.
6. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them out, leaving some room in between each waffle.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the waffles are golden brown and cooked through.
8. While the waffles are baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
9. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, until it is browned and cooked through.
10. Transfer the waffles and chicken to a plate and serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!