Harvest Bread: a Feasting Celebratory Staple
Harvest Bread is a warm and comforting seasonal treat that is perfect for cozy autumn evenings. It is a cross between a dense crusty loaf and a fluffy sweetcake, with a burst of autumnal flavours layered throughout. Drawing inspiration from both American and European traditions, Harvest Bread is a unique recipe that is sure to be a delightful addition to any feast.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1/2 cup milk
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup honey
– 2 cups diced apple
– 1/2 cup dried cranberries
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl, mix together until a soft dough forms.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2 minutes.
6. Roll the dough out into a rectangle and spread with the dough filling evenly.
7. Roll dough up and brush the top with the remaining honey.
8. Place dough into a greased round baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.
9. Allow the bread to cool slightly before serving with a mug of hot apple cider.
Harvest Bread has an ever-so-lightly crisp crust that gives way to a faintly sticky and fluffy centre. The filling of apples, cranberries, and walnuts provides delightful bursts of sweet and tart flavours that interweave with the nutty, spiced dough. The result is a light, flavourful bread that is the perfect accompaniment to savoury roasts and creamy gravies.
In European culinary traditions, Harvest Bread is known as Kuchen, and is served alongside other festive breads such as Stollen or grown-up treats like Black Forest Cake or Hot Burgundies. In America, Harvest Bread is often served for Thanksgiving or a harvest celebration, and pairs wonderfully with a glass of hard cider to toast the season.
However you celebrate, Harvest Bread is a delectable treat that combines the classic flavours of autumn in a new and exciting way. So, gather the family and give this wonderful recipe a try!