Biting into a Piece of Haitian Heaven: Rum-Infused Haitian Cake
If you’ve ever taken a step into Haiti, you’d notice that the Caribbean nation is steeped in culture and flavor. The unique influence from several countries and a long-standing history of rum production has infused Haitian cuisine with an array of delicious sweet and savory dishes. Our latest obsession? A tantalizingly delectable Haitian cake rum.
The Haitian cake rum recipe has been passed down through generations and is currently one of the most popular items on many of the island’s restaurant and café menus. This distinctive cake has a passionate and passionate-flavored twist – the addition of rum! The sweet, rich notes of Haitian rum provide the perfect contrast and balance to the traditional flavors of the cake, while the rum-infused butter and dark brown sugar gives this dessert a delightful depth of flavor.
-2 cups of all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-3/4 cup of dark brown sugar
-3/4 cup of butter, melted and cooled
-1/4 cup of good quality haitian rum
-2 large eggs
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-1/2 cup of buttermilk
-2 tablespoons of chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch cake tin
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
3. In another bowl, mix the melted butter, dark brown sugar, and rum until well combined
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then stir in the vanilla extract
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well with a whisk
6. Pour the batter into the greased cake tin and top with the chopped pecans. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
7. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely
With its moist, tender crumb and perfectly balanced sweet and savory flavors, this unassuming cake has quickly become a favorite of ours. Perfect for any special occasion or as an after-dinner treat, this rum-infused Haitian cake is sure to tantalize your tastebuds and leave you rejoicing with each bite.
For those looking to explore further into Haitian cuisine, this rum-infused cake pairs nicely with the traditional poisson gros sel for a delicious and authentic supper experience. Additionally, the zesty and fragrant flavors of the Caribbean found in local dishes like griyo, tassot and le lambi make for a perfect pairing with this gentle and delicate cake.
With its unique flavor, traditional influences and delectable taste, this enchanting Haitian cake rum recipe is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.