Unstoppable Haitian Bread: Moist, Flavorful and Perfectly Sweet
Are you ready to make a delicious, moist, fluffy and flavorful bread from the Caribbean? The famous Haitian bread is an indulgence that is irresistible, and a perfect introduction to Haitian cuisine.
This traditional bread is essentially a sweetened version of its Malouba-style counterpart; however, Haitian bread contains unique flavors beyond the classic ingredients. This sweet bread is made from a combination of all-purpose flour, sugar, powdered milk, salt and butter. With the addition of Haitian spices and banana puree, this bread takes on a unique flavor and makes for a captivating aroma.
The Delicious Profile of Haitian Bread
Strikingly different, Haitian bread is both moist yet fluffy, delicate yet rich, and perfectly sweet. The sugar and banana puree mix lends an aroma that is truly unforgettable. Since it’s made with all-purpose flour, this bread is not too dense and not too light—it’s just the right texture.
Baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan, it’s convenient to control the thickness and make sure it’s perfectly cooked. To top it off, a glaze of butter, honey and condensed milk is often placed on the bread, allowing it to caramelize in the oven.
The Stunning Origins of Haitian Bread
Haitian bread is served in a variety of dishes and takes part in many Haitian celebrations. The bread has a connection to Bwa Kayiman Revolution, which began during the time of French colonial rule. The bread’s sweet taste is a reminder of the struggle, and is a symbol of freedom in the eyes of many Haitians.
The traditional Haitian cuisine has evolved and become part of the great Creole culture in the Antilles, Haiti, Dominica and Guadeloupe. The flavors, ingredients, and overall techniques of Creole cooking closely resemble those of the French, African, and Spanish settlers.
The Delicious Recipe for Haitian Bread
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/3 cup white sugar
– 1/3 cup powdered milk
– 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/3 cup banana puree
– 2 teaspoons Haitian spices
– 2 tablespoons butter, melted
– 2 tablespoons condensed milk
– 2 tablespoons honey
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, powdered milk, yeast, butter and salt, and mix until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine banana puree and Haitian spices and mix until combined.
3. Slowly incorporate the banana puree mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture.
4. Gradually add in the remaining cup of flour, stirring until a dough forms.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
7. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
8. Place the dough in the baking pan and use a spatula to spread evenly.
9. Bake for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and brush the melted butter, honey and condensed milk mixture on top.
11. Bake for another 10 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
Get Ready to Treat Yourself to Haitian Bread
Haitian bread is one of the nation’s most beloved desserts and is undoubtedly a delicious treat. With its sweet, buttery and perfectly moist texture, Haitian bread is a delightful creation that is sure to please your palate. With its unique combination of flavors and its strong connection to Haitian culture, this bread is a must try for all!