The Secret to the Best Gus Chicken
Chicken and friends are a classic comfort food according to many. With so many ways to cook chicken, it can be hard to find that one recipe that stands out and freezes in your memory as a favorite. But fear not, we’re here to introduce you to an amazing chicken dish – Gus chicken.
Gus chicken is a classic Southern fried chicken dish that dates back to the 1950’s mostly associated with the south and specifically Tennessee. This classic recipe has been around for centuries and is one of the most popular and requested friendly chicken recipes. Gus chicken has a crispy, breaded exterior and is bursting with flavor from the buttery garlic and herbs. The perfect family meal for all!
So what are you waiting for? Read on to find out the recipe for the best Gus chicken.
Gus Chicken Recipe
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
1. In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper and set aside.
2. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then dredge in the flour mixture, making sure to coat all sides.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
5. When the oil is hot, add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure even cooking.
6. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the heat and set aside.
7. In the same skillet, melt the butter and then stir in the garlic and herbs.
8. After a few minutes, add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to coat evenly.
9. Add the lemon juice and allow the sauce to reduce slightly, stirring often.
10. Serve hot with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!