Greek Avgolemono Recipe
Greek Avgolemono is a traditional and popular soup in Greek cuisine. It is enjoyed by many as a favourite and nutritious dish. The name translates to “egg-lemon” which reflects its main ingredients.
Avgolemono is easy to prepare and makes for a hearty meal. The egg and lemon sauce served on top of the soup makes it a comforting and delicious dish.
- 2.5 litres chicken stock
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Bring the chicken stock to a gentle boil in a large soup pot, add the rice and simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and lemon juice together until well mixed.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and slowly add the egg and lemon mixture to the soup, stir vigorously as you do.
- Replace the pot on low heat and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the soup thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
Greek Avgolemono is a flavoursome and rich soup that is sure to satisfy. The combination of the tangy lemon and savoury rice make this dish a winner. For a heartier meal, add some cooked chicken or chopped cooked vegetables. Enjoy your Greek Avgolemono!