Explore a taste of nostalgia with Grandma’s Minestrone Soup
Every family has their own classic comfort food recipes, but few are as well-loved and widely shared as Grandma’s Minestrone Soup. This traditional Italian dish has been around for centuries, with each family giving it their own unique twist. Its hearty and flavourful ingredients, diverse and inviting aromas, and warm and hearty texture has been the perfect dish for generations to enjoy.
Grandma’s Minestrone Soup is all about a simpler time. Rich yet healthy, it’s a balanced meal in a bowl and can easily be adapted to suit any taste — with the promise of a heartwarming, big-batch meal that will fill your bowls and hearts.
– ½ cup celery, diced
– ½ cup carrots, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
– 2 cups chicken stock or broth
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 teaspoon oregano
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 1 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
– ½ cup small pasta
– 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
– grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil a large pot set over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots and garlic, cooking until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, beans, oregano, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Add the pastas and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the pastas are cooked through.
5. Add the spinach and stir to incorporate.
6. Serve hot with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Grandma’s Minestrone Soup is an authentic Italian dish that has sustained families for generations. Its mix of fresh vegetables, pasta and beans give it a wholesome and nourishing profile, making it a perfect meal for a chilly evening. Rich in both flavour and texture, this classic recipe is sure to become a family favourite.
For those looking to explore similar dishes, consider exploring the Tuscan tradition of ribolita — a simple, vegetable-based soup that kids will love. And don’t forget to add in herbs like marjoram, basil, and rosemary to give Grandma’s Minestrone Soup an extra layer of flavour.
A big bowl of Grandma’s Minestrone Soup transports us back to cozy days filled with family, laughter, and a home-cooked meal fit for a king. Try it today and reminisce as you take a journey through a taste of nostalgia.