A Bake-Tastic Fruit Basket Cake
A delectable combination of ripe fruit, decadent cream, and toasted pastry, this Fruit Basket Cake has all the makings of an enchanting summer dessert. Its tantalizing medley of textures and flavors add complexity and uniqueness to this classic recipe, capturing the essence of a scrumptious fruit basket in every bite.
Every scrumptious slice of this fruit-filled dessert starts with a golden brown fortification of puff pastry. Following your favorite recipe, roll out the dough and cut it into rectangles of desired size. Bake until delectable layers of golden pastry emerge beneath the sweetened fruit blanket.
Cake Base Ingredients
– 2 sheets of puff pastry
Fruit & Filling
– 2 cups flour
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup butter
– 3-4 cups fresh fruit of choice, such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and peaches
– 1/4 cup apricot jam
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Step 1: Prepare the Crust
1. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to about 1/4-inch (1/2 cm) thickness.
3. Cut the sheets of pastry into rectangles of desired size. Place the rectangles onto a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step 2: Make the Fruit Filling
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and butter together until combined.
2. Add the fresh fruit of choice and mix together.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the apricot jam over low heat. Once melted, stir in the cornstarch and lemon juice. Put the mixture aside to cool.
4. Add the cooled jam mixture to the fruit mixture and stir until well combined.
Step 3: Assemble the Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
2. Spoon the fruit mixture onto the puff pastry rectangles, spreading it evenly.
3. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
4. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
This decadent Fruit Basket Cake will make a delightful addition to any summer menu. Its combination of ripe fruit and fluffy pastry makes for a scrumptious dessert that is sure to wow your guests. For further variation, try adding different fruits such as cherries, kiwis, or apples.
If you’re looking for more fruity treats, you may also enjoy these recipes for Peach Galette or Apple-Cranberry Strudel. For another stellar French-inspired treat, try this recipe for Lemon and Rosemary Cream Tart.
For a memorable summer dessert, you can’t go wrong with this Fruit Basket Cake.