We all love fresh apricot chicken – and for good reason! This classic, simple dish is renowned for its wholesome, comforting flavor and fragrance. Drawing from the flavors of Southeast Asia, fresh apricot chicken is surprisingly easy and quick to make, making it the perfect weeknight dinner.
This fragrant dish starts with boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are cooked until just done. We then add fragrant warm spices like chili, cinnamon, and turmeric until they combine with the chicken. Next, a generous amount of freshly-chopped apricots, along with aromatics like spring onions, garlic, and ginger are added and cooked until tender. Finally, the sauce – made of chicken stock, coconut milk, and a good glug of fish sauce to bring it all together – is brought to life.
It’s then served with steamed jasmine rice or served as part of an Asian-inspired light meal. With the sweet, fragrant flavors of the apricot complementing the warm, earthy spices, this dish makes for a truly unique and flavorful meal. Plus, since it’s easy to make, you can enjoy a warm and nourishing dinner without spending hours in the kitchen.
It might sound like a strange combination of flavors – apricots and jasmine rice, with chili and fish sauce – but the fact is this delicious dish is surprisingly easy to make and makes for a truly unique and memorable meal. Give it try and you won’t regret it – you never knew apricots and fish sauce could go so nicely together! Here’s how you can make your own batch of fresh apricot chicken:
Fresh Apricot Chicken
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 2 cups freshly chopped apricots
– 2 spring onions, finely chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 piece fresh ginger, grated
– 1 can coconut milk
– 1 cup chicken stock
– 2 tablespoons fish sauce
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the chicken breasts. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon to the pan and cook for another minute.
3. Stir in the apricots, spring onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Pour in the coconut milk, chicken stock and fish sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the apricots are tender.
5. Serve over steamed jasmine rice or noodles. Enjoy!