French Croque Monsieur Recipe
Croque Monsieur is a French classic beloved by both kids and adults alike. Perfect for a cozy lunch or dinner, this savory treat takes no time to make. Try this delicious and simple Croque Monsieur today!
– 2 slices of white bread
– 2 oz cooked ham, thinly sliced
– 2 -3 slices of Swiss cheese
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup milk
– 2 tsp Dijon mustard
– 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Spread one side of each slice of bread with the Dijon mustard.
3. Layer a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss cheese on one of the slices of bread, top with the other slice of bread.
4. Take the butter and melt it in a small saucepan over low heat.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and whisk constantly until the flour is completely dissolved.
6. Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. This is your Mornay sauce.
7. Place the assembled Croque Monsieur in an oven-proof skillet or dish.
8. Pour the Mornay sauce over the Croque Monsieur, then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
9. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!