Tantalisingly Sweet Filipino Bread Pudding
If you’re looking to add a touch of sweetness to your dinner table this week, why not consider whipping up a traditional Filipino bread pudding? This classic recipe is renowned for its combination of indulgent, sugary flavour and wonderfully comforting texture. With its interesting combination of baked and mashed ingredients, it won’t take long to create a delicious dessert that’s sure to delight your taste buds.
Originating in the Philippines, Filipino Bread Pudding has been a popular sweet treat in the islands since the turn of the century. This traditional recipe has been passed down through generations, with subtle changes made here and there over the years. Today’s version features a delightful combination of soft, melted butter, aromatic spices, and creamy evaporated milk. The result is a dessert that’s oh-so-indulgent – and oh-so-irresistible.
So, let’s take a look at how to make this Filipino delight.
- 400g white bread, cut into cubes
- 120g butter, melted
- 3 ½ cups evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 ounce of toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until fully combined.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Layer the toasted bread cubes across the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the above mixture over the bread cubes and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Gently press the top to ensure the ingredients are fully combined.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly golden and the centre is just set. Serve warm or chilled with ice cream.
This Filipino bread pudding is deceptively simple, yet undeniably delicious. Light and fluffy on the inside, with a delicious crunchy topping and plenty of warming spices, it has all the elements of a crowd-pleaser. Plus, with its mix of bread, butter and hazelnuts, it’s wonderfully rich, indulgent and utterly indulgent. Plus, it’s incredibly quick and easy to prepare, taking just minutes to make and barely any washing up!
So go ahead, and make this delicious Filipino treat for your family and friends. With its wonderfully comforting flavour and texture, everyone is sure to be coming back for seconds. Enjoy!