What Is Faidley’s Crab Cake?
For the seafood lovers among us, Faidley’s famous crab cake has become a Maryland tradition. Located in the heart of Baltimore’s legendary Broadway Market, Faidley’s has been serving up its iconic crab cakes since 1886. With a crispy outside and a succulent center, they have set the standard for regional sea food. But what makes this crab cake so special?
The Perfect Combination Of Ingredients
At Faidley’s, the secret to their legendary crab cakes is in their unique combination of ingredients. To make their signature dish, they start with Maryland crab meat and a handcrafted blend of herbs and spices. Then, they add Panko bread crumbs and a dash of Tabasco sauce to give the final result a delicious kick. With these simple, yet effective ingredients, Faidley’s creates a crab cake that features an unforgettable flavor and texture.
The Signature Plate
When ordering a Faidley’s crab cake, you can expect to receive a platter featuring the delicious main course. Depending on your preference, the crab cake is available as a sandwich, a salad, or as a platter. All platters come with your choice of french fries, hush puppies, or coleslaw, making for a complete seafood meal. The signature platter is served with a pair of remoulade and mustard sauces, giving the crab cake a unique balance of tangy and earthy notes.
A Classic Recipe
To make your own Faidley’s-inspired crab cake, you will need:
- 1 lb. of freshly picked Maryland crab meat
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of old bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the crab meat and Panko bread crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the parsley, old bay seasoning and onion powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce.
- Combine all ingredients from the large, small and medium bowls together in the large bowl.
- Using your hands form 8 equal patties no more than 1-inch thick.
- Heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat and add canola or vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add crab cake patties and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the patties to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite sides.
Faidley’s iconic crab cake has become a classic dish that is loved by seafood lovers all over Maryland. With a crispy outside and a succulent center, it can be enjoyed as a sandwich, salad, or as a platter. With a few simple steps and ingredients, you can now make your own version of Faidley’s famous crab cake that is sure to wow your friends and family. So, the next time you find yourself in the Baltimore area, make sure you drop by Faidley’s and try their legendary dish!