Burrito Basics: Don’t Pass Over This Zesty Bison Burrito With Queso Fresco
Mexican cuisine is so full of flavor and offers such a plethora of dishes that you can never get bored of it. The burrito is a popular Mexican staple, usually stuffed with rice, beans, cheese, and various fillings. If you are wondering how to step up your burrito game, this zesty bison burrito with queso fresco is the answer. The combination of the spiced bison and the addition of tart queso fresco makes for an incredible flavor-packed experience.
– 1 lb ground bison
– ½ an onion, minced
– 1 bell pepper, minced
– 1 can black beans, drained
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon oregano
– ½ teaspoon garlic powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
– Flour tortillas
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
3. Add the ground bison and cook until it’s cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks.
4. Once the bison is cooked, add the tomatoes, drained beans, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
7. To make the burritos, spoon about ½ cup of the bison mixture onto the center of a flour tortilla.
8. Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of queso fresco over the mixture.
9. Fold the ends of the tortilla into the center and then roll the burrito up.
10. Serve warm with your favorite toppings and sides. Enjoy!
This zesty bison burrito with queso fresco is the burrito of your dreams. The intense flavors of the bison and the tartness of the queso fresco will have you coming back for more. Give it a try today!