Donkey Balls Recipe
Donkey balls are a local delicacy from Thessaloniki, Greece. They are small, deep-fried balls of dough filled with feta cheese, olives, and pieces of pepperoncini peppers. They’re the perfect snack for any time of day, but are especially popular as a street food. This recipe makes enough for 4-6 people, depending on how many people you’re serving.
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup feta, crumbled
– ½ cup olives, finely chopped
– ½ cup pepperoncini, chopped
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 tablespoons salt
– 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for cooking
– 1 cup water
– Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, feta, olives, pepperoncini, oregano, baking powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the water and mix until a thick dough forms.
2. Take a handful of dough and shape it into a small ball about the size of a ping-pong ball. Set it aside and repeat with the rest of the dough.
3. Heat the canola or vegetable oil in a deep pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
4. Fry the balls, a few at a time, until they are golden-brown and crispy.
5. Transfer the cooked balls to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
6. Serve the donkey balls warm, with a sprinkle of salt if desired. Enjoy!