Diabetic-Friendly Meatloaf: Comfort Food with a Healthy Twist
Who doesn’t love a good, hearty dish of savory meatloaf? Even better when it’s diabetic-friendly so you don’t have to worry about watching your diet. This easy-to-make meatloaf will quickly become a family favorite and a regular go-to meal. It uses ground beef, pork, and veal to create a flavorful and tender loaf that’s both delicious and nutritious. Add in some traditional spices like bay leaves and thyme to give it an extra shot of flavor, and you won’t even miss the excess fat and calories normally associated with this comfort food classic.
A diabetic-friendly meatloaf has the same great taste and texture as regular meatloaf. It’s usually made using lean meats, low-fat dairy products, or egg substitutes. It’s also a great way to sneak in some extra veggies, like grated carrots or mushrooms, that are also low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals.
This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients, including ground beef, pork, and veal. It’s also flavoured with bay leaves and thyme and features a delicious mixture of Parmesan cheese and walnuts, providing both crunchy texture and extra flavour.
To make the diabetic-friendly meatloaf, begin by preheating the oven to 350°F and greasing a loaf pan. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, pork, veal, Parmesan cheese, and walnuts. To the mixture, add garlic, onion, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Once that’s all incorporated, add an egg substitute or two and mix to combine.
Spread the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for about an hour, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 165°F. After removing it from the oven, let it cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes before slicing it.
Now, this diabetic-friendly meatloaf is ready to be served. Enjoy it with mashed potatoes and gravy, or eat it with a side of healthy veggies like roasted cauliflower or green beans. However you eat it, this diabetic-friendly meatloaf is sure to be a hit!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground veal
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, pork, veal, Parmesan cheese, and walnuts. Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper and mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Add egg substitute and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and press down to shape into a loaf.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.