Crisco Cake: A Sweet Treat that’s Simple to Prepare
When it comes to a great dessert recipe, everyone has their favorite. For me, it’s the trusty and tasty Crisco Cake, an old-fashioned dessert that is as classic as they come. This traditional Southern delicacy is made with only a few ingredients, but it is surprisingly full of flavor.
At first glance, Crisco Cake may look like a simple white cake–but it’s much more than that. With a unique combination of ingredients and magical preparation methods, this dessert packs a serious flavor punch. Sweet and moist, it features a unique flavor and texture that will make your mouth water.
The recipe involves creating a luscious strawberry-based cake batter that is enhanced by the addition of Crisco shortening. In this version, I’ve used a combination of light and dark brown sugar to give the cake a deep and complex sweetness. To finish off the cake, a dollop of sweetened whipped cream is layered over the top, giving the cake a light and heavenly flavor.
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
– 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1/2 cup diced strawberries
– 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with shortening and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together, the flour, baking powder, light and dark brown sugar, and salt until evenly combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the Crisco shortening and vanilla extract, and beat until creamy.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the Crisco mixture, stirring until combined.
5. Add the heavy cream into the mixture and mix until blended, about 2 minutes.
6. Fold in the diced strawberries, being careful not to overmix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Allow the cake to cool before carefully removing from the pan and slicing.
9. Top with sweetened whipped cream before serving.
So come on over, my fellow Southern food lovers: it’s time to indulge in a slice of this delicious Crisco Cake! This great traditional American dessert is sure to delight, and to bring back fond childhood memories. Enjoy every last luscious bite!