A Deliciously Sweet Cornbread Yellow Cake Recipe
When it comes to cakes, few things get tastebuds tingling like cornbread yellow cake. This unique, sweet and savory treat is the perfect combination of salty and sweet. With a decadently spongy texture and an unbeatably tantalizing taste, this cake is guaranteed to impress.
A Tasty Twist on a Classic
This version of this classic treat takes its inspiration from the traditional Manchet cake, a popular treat in England in the 16th and 17th centuries. The cake uses cornmeal, instead of the original wheat flour, to create a more resilient texture. The combination of cornmeal and butter make for a deliciously moist crumb, while the addition of a tart lemony flavor provides an exciting burst of flavor. Rich and dense, this cake is a treat like none other.
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch round pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, in 3 parts, alternating with the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool slightly in the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
The Perfect Occasion For Cornbread Yellow Cake
This one-of-a-kind cake is perfect as a stand-alone treat or can be served with a selection of accompaniments. Ice cream, cream cheese frosting, a lemon glaze, or simply a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar are all classic accompaniments for this cake. Cornbread yellow cake is perfect for a variety of occasions; from afterschool snacks to birthday parties. This unique cake can be enjoyed by a variety of dietary requirements, from those who are gluten-free to those who are vegetarians.
So why not dust off the pans and whisk, and whip up a mouth-watering cornbread yellow cake? You won’t regret it.