Indulge in Deliciously Decadent Chocolate Thunder Cake
Ah, chocolate thunder cake! Truly, this classic dessert is THE crowd pleaser. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, baking for a family reunion, or just want to treat yourself, this classic cake is a guaranteed hit. Not only is it delectably indulgent, it’s also super easy to make!
Unforgettable flavors in your kitchen
This decadent cake combines classic baking ingredients in a unique way, creating a moist and flavorful cake. The multi-layer chocolate fudge frosting is unforgettable. As you bite into the cake, you can taste the rich cocoa and hint of vanilla, followed by an ooey-gooey layer of delicious fudge and a light sprinkling of crunchy walnuts. The flavors just burst in your mouth!
A rural Southern favorite
The recipe for chocolate thunder cake has been around since the 1940’s in rural Southern parts of the US and is often served with a hot drink. It’s a special treat, with many variations on the classic recipe – some include mini marshmallows, pecans, peanut butter and other combinations of ingredients. No matter how you make it, it’s sure to be delicious.
Try the recipe for yourself!
So if you’re ready to indulge in a delicious cake, here’s what you’ll need to make the Chocolate Thunder Cake:
– 2 cups flour
– 2 tsp baking powder
– ½ tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 cup butter
– 2 ½ cups dry sugar
– 5 large eggs
– 1 cup cocoa powder
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 cups buttermilk
– 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 2 cups chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
4. In a third bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and buttermilk.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until just combined.
6. Pour in the cocoa mixture and mix until just combined.
7. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts until evenly distributed.
8. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
– 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 2 ¼ cups heavy cream
– 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
2. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer and pour over the chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
4. Instant chill for about 10 minutes.
5. Assemble the cooled cakes and frost with the chocolate cream. Decorate the top with the chopped walnuts.
Once you’ve tried this Chocolate Thunder Cake, you’ll never look at dessert the same way again! You’ll find this cake packs a rich and delicious punch that’s hard to beat. Plus, you can use the same technique and ingredients to make your own masterpiece! So why not whip up this yummy treat and give your taste buds a treat? Enjoy!