Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork
Chinese sweet and sour pork is an iconic Cantonese dish that is popular all over the world. It is a combination of sweet and sour flavours with crispy pork pieces, and it’s easy to make. Try this delicious recipe for an authentic Chinese meal.
– 500g pork tenderloin
– 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons of oil
– 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
– 2 tablespoons of ginger, finely diced
– 2 red peppers, cut into small squares
– 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons of rice wine or dry sherry
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– 4 tablespoons of vinegar
– 2 tablespoons of ketchup
– Salt, pepper, and sesame oil, to taste
– 1 egg
– 2 tablespoons of water
– 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1. Cut the pork into small cubes and marinate with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of rice wine or dry sherry, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
2. Heat a wok or large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and then add the marinated pork cubes. Fry for about 2 minutes to brown, then remove from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add the garlic, ginger, and red peppers. Fry for 1 minute.
4. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, a pinch of salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
5. Add the sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the fried pork and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the pork is cooked through.
6. In a small bowl, mix the egg, 2 tablespoons of water, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and quickly stir fry until the egg is cooked.
8. Finish off by adding the sesame seeds and give it a few stirs.
9. Serve the sweet and sour pork over steamed white rice. Enjoy!