Chinese Shanghai Fried Rice
Chinese Shanghai Fried Rice is a popular dish in Shanghai. It combines steamed jasmine rice with flavorful soy sauce and two traditional Chinese ingredients: scallions and eggs. The rice is stir-fried until it’s nice and crispy and has a sweet smokiness from the soy sauce. It’s a great side dish for Chinese-style meals or a simple, tasty one-pot meal.
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked and cooled
- 4 scallions
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Chop the scallions and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add the eggs and stir-fry until they are cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the cooled jasmine rice and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the rice is lightly crispy and golden-brown.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly, and then serve.