Chilling Out with Blueberry Soup
Looking for something a little different and oh-so-summery this season? Then check out this delicious chilled blueberry soup. Perfect for hot days and quick meals, this recipe is bursting with flavor, will delight any taste buds, and can be made with simple ingredients.
- 2 quarts of fresh, ripe blueberries
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt.
- Puree the mixture using an immersion blender or food processor until it is smooth.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Stir in the yogurt until it is completely combined.
- Serve the chilled blueberry soup in bowls or glasses with any desired garnish.
This chilled blueberry soup is a summertime staple in my family. Not only does this unique dish add an interesting twist to everyday meals, but it also has some fun cultural influences. Both the nutmeg and cardamom offer a subtle reminder of the Indian and Southeast Asian cuisines. Yet, with a few tweaks of the recipe, this soup can also be made with a hint of Mexican flair by adding some freshly chopped cilantro and a few tablespoons of tequila.
So, whether you’re looking for an easy dish to cool off with or just a different way to use your summertime bounty of blueberries, this chilled blueberry soup is a winner. For a truly special meal, try serving it alongside some mashed potatoes, chicken and a cold glass of rosé!