Tantalisingly Tangy Chicken Kulambu
Nothing tantalises the taste buds like a rich and flavourful bowl of chicken kulambu. Hailing from south India, this traditional dish is the perfect combination of tangy, spicy, and just a hint of the sweetness. A mouthwatering dish that is packed with flavour, chicken kulambu is sure to tantalise your taste buds like never before.
So, what makes chicken kulambu such an amazing dish? Well, this dish is packed full of various spices and herbs, including coriander, cumin, cinnamon herbs, chilli powder, mustard seeds, and even a hint of garlic, to bring out its unique flavour. The large variety of spices, along with the generous helping of coconut milk, make for a dish that is perfect for any day or occasion.
– 1 ½ tablespoons of oil
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
– 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 2 onions, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons of coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
– ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
– 2 tablespoons of curry powder
– 2 cups of boneless chicken thighs, diced
– 2 tomatoes, diced
– 1 cup of coconut milk
– ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
– 2 cups of water
– Salt, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add bay leaves, mustard seeds and garlic, and cook until the garlic is lightly browned.
2. Add the onions and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the onions are softened and lightly browned.
3. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes.
5. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Add the coconut milk and cinnamon, stirring to combine.
7. Add the water and season with salt to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Chicken kulambu is one of those dishes that never ceases to amaze. Its balance of sweet and spicy flavours is guaranteed to please everyone’s palate. Its unique blend of spices and herbs is unlike any other dish and transforms this humble dish into something truly special. Serve it with some steamed white rice and you have a meal that is both simple and delicious. So, the next time you crave something different, why not give chicken kulambu a try? You won’t be disappointed.