Savour an authentically-delicious Chicken Estofado
Have you ever experienced a modern-day twist on medieval European cuisine?
This tantalizing dish of chicken estofado, a flavourful blend of Spanish and Portuguese styles, will take you on a gastronomic adventure.
The rich history of the estofado technique has caught the imagination of many around the world, and it’s no wonder – this rendition of the classic recipe is packed full of punchy, savoury flavour.
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•1 onion, diced
•3 cloves garlic, minced
•2 tablespoons paprika
•1 teaspoon ground cumin
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon ground pepper
•1 bay leaf
•400ml tinned chopped tomatoes
•2 tablespoons tomato paste
•200ml white wine
•1 kg chicken thighs
•1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
•1 green bell pepper, cut into pieces
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft.
2. Add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper, and bay leaf and fry for another 4 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and wine, and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Place the chicken thighs into the pot and simmer for around 25 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Add the bell peppers and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the peppers are softened.
6. Serve with your choice of side dishes and enjoy!
Cooking with estofado is both exciting and rewarding – you can explore with unique and unusual combinations of spices and ingredients, while still achieving a distinctive and flavourful result.
The combination of tomatoes and peppers here gives the dish a slight sweetness and depth of flavour. Paired with the white wine, and the garlic, onion and paprika provide a medley of intense and complex tastes – perplexing the palette and inciting a burst of flavour with each bite!
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to explore classic styles from other cultures, why not try a chicken estofado – you won’t be disappointed!