A Taste of Mexican Cuisine: Chicken Crispitos
Made with simple ingredients and tons of flavor, Chicken Crispitos has quickly become a staple of Mexican home-cooking. This tasty dish is sure to transport your taste buds on a journey to south of the border and add a unique zesty flavor to your table.
Chicken Crispitos is a Mexican-style chicken dish that combines crispy, fried chicken with a uniquely Mexican seasoning. The sweet onion and garlic add to a medley of flavors that’s both savory and bursting with flavor. The secret ingredient to this dish is freshly ground chipotle peppers, which adds a hint of smokiness and adds an extra kick of heat.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground chipotle peppers
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sweet onion and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chipotle, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, and sea salt. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, and allow the spices to toast for about 2 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the flour in a shallow bowl, and add the cubed chicken. Toss the chicken in the flour until all pieces are lightly coated.
- Add the chicken cubes to the pan with the seasoned vegetables. Stir to combine, and cook for about 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve alongside your favorite side dish.
Chicken Crispitos is a great way to give your dinner table a bit of a cultural flair. These are great for busy weeknights, and can be served as a main dish with sides or can top off a salad. You can also freeze the chicken crispitos once cooked – making them a wonderful meal prep dish that’s fun and delicious.
If you’re looking for a traditional Mexican dish with a modern twist, try these delicious Chicken Crispitos. Bon appetit!