Chicken and Rice with Gravy
If you love classic comfort food, chicken and rice with gravy is a must-try. This classic dish is creamy and savory, and it is a perfect meal for any day of the week. Serve it alongside a green salad for a complete meal that is sure to satisfy.
– 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
– 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 cup long-grain white rice
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Add remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Add garlic and onion, stirring occasionally until fragrant and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add paprika, cumin, and rice, cooking for 1 minute until rice is lightly toasted.
4. Pour chicken broth into the skillet and stir to combine. Return chicken to the skillet, submerging in liquid. Bring to a simmer, then transfer skillet to the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes, covered.
5. Remove skillet from the oven. Transfer chicken to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm, and set aside.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of chicken broth and the flour until there are no lumps.
7. Return skillet to the stovetop over medium heat. Pour flour mixture into the skillet, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook until thick, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream.
8. Return chicken to the skillet and spoon gravy over top. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Serve chicken and rice with gravy. Enjoy!