The Delight that is Chick Bread: A Recipe to Remember
There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly cooked chick bread filling up the kitchen. This popular dish is loved all over the world and has its roots in many different cultures. It’s a delicious treat that never fails to hit the spot and with the right recipe, it can be brought to life in your own kitchen.
– 3 cups of all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 3 tablespoons of white sugar
– 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 2 large eggs
– 3/4 cup of buttermilk
– 1/3 cup of raisins
– 1/4 cup of ground chickpeas
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, butter, eggs, and buttermilk.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
5. Stir in the raisins, ground chickpeas, and cinnamon.
6. Grease a baking sheet lightly with some oil, and pour in the batter.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool before serving.
What makes chick bread so great is its versatility – you can use any type of nut or seed in place of the chickpeas and any variety of dried fruit or fresh fruit instead of the raisins. The burstiness of the ground chickpeas combined with the perplexity of the cinnamon creates a delicious and unique flavor. Plus, the crunchy top contrasts beautifully with the soft, fluffy interior for a truly tantalizing experience. If you like, you can also sprinkle a bit of sugar on the top before baking for a lovely sweetness.
Whether you’re a passionate home baker or a novice cook, chick bread is one recipe you won’t want to miss. It’s a rare, timeless treat that’s full of flavor and it can be easily adapted to suit any taste buds. Yum!