Calamari Soup: A Perfect Combination of Concentrated Flavor and Aromatic Freshness
For an explosion of flavor and freshness, nothing quite compares to calamari soup. This simple yet delicious dish brings together a mouthwatering blend of lightly boiled calamari, fresh vegetables and aromatic herbs – an irresistible combination that will tantalize your taste buds with every spoonful.
This recipe, full of surprising complexity, is certain to leave a lasting impression. First, the freshly cooked calamari is allowed to cool, then cut into thin strips and mixed with fragrant onions, garlic, and leeks. These intensely flavored ingredients are then cooked over a low heat, bringing out their natural sweetness.
Next, a delicate balance is achieved through the addition of white wine, fennel, a pinch of saffron and a touch of citrus – adding a hint of refreshment to the dish. Finally, the soup is topped with parsley, giving it a refreshing crunch and kick of flavor.
The result of this carefully crafted combination is an exquisite flavor bouquet that pairs perfectly with a glass of chilled white wine. This is a classic Mediterranean dish, however in this recipe the flavors have been given a modern twist. The lightness of the calamari and the freshness of the vegetables give the soup a pleasant, light consistency that avoids being too filling – a great thing to enjoy during the hot summer months.
This flavorful soup transcends time and geography, making it the perfect homage to the wonderful culinary traditions found around the world. It may have its roots in classic Italian-Mediterranean cuisine, but its unique flavor combinations make it a timeless classic that can be found in variations around the world. For a more intense flavor, it can be served with garlic or spicy peppers, or for a lighter version, herbs and vegetables like zucchini and bell peppers can be incorporated.
Overall, this recipe strikes a marvelous balance of flavors and aromas, making it ideal for any occasion. So why not surprise your guests with this delicious and unique dish this summer – you won’t regret it!
• 2 pounds of calamari, cleaned and cut into small pieces
• 1 large onion, diced
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 leeks, sliced
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• 1 teaspoon fennel
• Pinch of saffron
• Juice of 1 lemon or lime
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
• Add the diced onion, garlic, and leeks and sauté until lightly golden.
• Add the calamari and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
• Pour in the white wine and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
• Add a pinch of saffron and the juice of 1 lemon or lime. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the saucepan.
• Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the pan.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve the calamari soup in individual bowls, garnished with fresh parsley. Enjoy!