Brenda Gantt’s Biscuit Recipe
This traditional biscuit recipe comes from Brenda Gantt, a beloved baker from the small town of Wise, Virginia. Brenda’s biscuits have been the talk of the town for generations and now, you too can make them at home! With just the right amount of sweetness and a hint of cinnamon, these light and fluffy golden brown biscuits are sure to be a family favorite.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until combined.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or knife and fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently 5-6 times.
- Pat or roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut biscuits out with a 3-inch round cookie cutter and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.