Blackened Chicken Grill – A Delicious Southern Specialty
Nothing is more classic than a seasoned, juicy and flavorful grilled chicken. Introducing the blackened chicken grill, an amazing Southern-style dish with just the right hint of spice and smokiness.
This recipe combines traditional methods of slow grilling with the unmistakeable flavor of blackened spices to create an unforgettable outdoor eating experience. The act of blackening is an art form of its own, as the rub of spices caramelizes and chars the protein, leaving it a beautiful, crispy and smoky finish!
What is Blackening?
Blackening comes from the French style of cooking called Cajun cooking. This is a centuries-old method of using herbs and spices to create a “blackening” crust on meats such as poultry and fish. Through a long process of pan-frying the desired product in a hot cast-iron skillet, the blackening rub will caramelize and char the meat, leaving a strong and flavorful finish.
Ingredients for Blackened Chicken Grilling
Part of making this amazing dish is having all the right ingredients on hand!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons blackening spice (available at most grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for Blackened Chicken Grilling
- Heat the outdoor grill to medium-high heat (400-450°F).
- In a bowl, mix the blackening spice, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Rub the chicken breasts with oil and then generously sprinkle the spice mixture onto both sides of each chicken breast.
- Place the chicken breasts onto the preheated grill and cook, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
The result of this recipe is an irresistible and tender blackened chicken with slightly smoky, spicy and flavorful notes that will have you coming back for more. Enjoy it with rice and vegetables, or atop a bed of greens for a tasty and healthy meal!
If you like this recipe, you should also check out other variations, such as blackened fish, blackened shrimp, and even blackened steak – perfect for a family feast! Whatever you choose, blackened chicken is sure to become a Southern classic in your home.