Simple and Flavorful Bison Shepherd’s Pie: Hearty and Delicious
Nothing screams winter comfort food like an oven-baked shepherd’s pie. Shepherd’s pie is one of our warm-weather favorites and this tasty bison version is sure to please. Use ground bison for a unique spin on the classic dish – it’s a great way to mix up your meals and get some more nutritious meats in your diet. Ground bison is low in fat and calories yet full of flavor, so it’s a great way to bring some healthy options to your table while still enjoying your favorite comfort food.
Adding bison to shepherd’s pie can take a few extra steps, but the result is a hearty and flavorful dish that will leave your family begging for more. With the wonderful flavors of vegetables, herbs, and the hint of spice from the bison, this warm and hearty dish is sure to become a favorite on cold winter nights.
Bison Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
– 2 pounds ground bison
– 2 ½ cups beef stock
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 tablespoons flour
– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
– 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– 2-3 baked large potatoes, peeled and mashed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the ground bison and cook until the bison is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in the stock, tomato paste, frozen vegetables, parsley, paprika, thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Transfer the bison mixture to a 9×13 baking dish.
8. To make the topping: in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
9. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
10. Slowly add the beef stock and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
11. Pour the mashed potatoes over the top of the bison mixture.
12. Spread evenly and top with the beef stock topping.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the topping is golden brown.
14. Serve hot with a side salad or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!