Bison and Sweet Potato Hash
Bison and sweet potato hash is a delicious and nutritious meal to enjoy any time of day. This hash is a simple dish that comes together quickly and includes healthy cuts of bison and nutrient-dense sweet potatoes. The versatility of the dish makes it ideal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It can be enjoyed as is, or topped with a fried egg or yogurt for a heartier meal. The combination of delicious flavors and nutrient-dense ingredients makes bison and sweet potato hash the perfect choice for a healthy and filling meal.
Nutritional Benefits of Bison and Sweet Potato Hash
Bison is a superior source of lean red meat, offering higher amounts of protein, iron, and B vitamins than beef. The fat in bison is also less saturated, reducing the chances of developing heart disease. Sweet potatoes are loaded with complex carbohydrates and contain a good amount of dietary fiber. They’re also an excellent source of vitamin A and contain high amounts of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that helps support the immune system. Together, bison and sweet potatoes provide the body with essential nutrients and considerable health benefits.
Bison and Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 pounds ground bison
-2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
-1 medium onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the bison and cook until just browned, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
3. Add the sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are softened and the bison is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the skillet from the oven and top with parsley before serving.