Best Somen Salad: A Satisfying Summer Salad Recipe
For a light and refreshing summer salad that’s sure to please, you can’t do better than this Best Somen Salad. The combination of nutty noodles, crunchy veggies, and a zesty Asian-inspired dressing makes for a mouthwatering medley of flavors and textures.
This is a simple yet satisfying salad that can be enjoyed as a light lunch or a appetizer. The surprise twist comes from the delicate somen noodles that give a pleasant change of texture compared to the usual pasta salad base, while still providing plenty of bulk to keep you full.
• 4 ounces somen noodles
• 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
• 1 red bell pepper, julienned
• 1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
• 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon honey
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add somen noodles and cook according to package directions, about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse noodles in cold water.
2. In a large bowl, combine noodles, carrots, bell pepper, peanuts, green onions, and cilantro.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and honey.
4. Drizzle the dressing over the noodle mixture and toss to combine.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Somen noodles are thin Japanese noodles made from wheat flour. They can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find them, you can substitute with thin spaghetti noodles.
This Best Somen Salad is the perfect refreshing and light summer salad, full of interesting textures and flavor combinations. For those who love Asian-influenced recipes, this is sure to be a hit. If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some extra veggies like edamame or shiitake mushrooms.