It’s hard to resist the irresistible aroma and taste of a warm slice of banana bread. Lovers of this classic treat have experimented with all sorts of ingredients throughout the years and today we’ll be looking at a recipe for banana bread with shortening.
Banana Bread Recipe with Shortening
Banana bread is a delicious and wholesome treat that is usually made with fresh bananas, flour, eggs and sugar. But for an extra moist and rich bread, adding shortening to the mix is a great way to elevate the flavor and texture.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, oil, shortening, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Once you’ve tried this classic banana bread with shortening, you’ll never think of making traditional banana bread again! Shortening adds a richness to the bread that other ingredients just can’t match, giving it a delicious flavor and texture. The ground spices add a complexity and warmth that takes the flavor of the bread to the next level.
This banana bread recipe is simple and easy to follow, so why not take a little time to make it today? Serve it with creamy butter, jam or even some ice cream, and you’ve got the perfect treat any time of day.Bakers around the world can add their own unique spins to this classic recipe by trying different ingredients, or combining it with other culinary traditions. Be sure to experiment and find what works for you.