The Perfect American Fried Chicken Recipe
Ah, the all-time classic American fried chicken. What could be more comforting than crunchy, delicious pieces of savory poultry that deliver the perfect blend of spices, herbs, and flavor? From the traditional Southern-style to the beer-battered explosion of Western offerings, fried chicken has been loved and eaten around the US for centuries. Today, we’ll be tackling the perfect American fried chicken recipe to give you the opportunity to enjoy this delicacy at home.
Fried chicken is distinguished by its milk bath, which should contain all the flavors and spices you plan to use. Most recipes will call for garlic powder, paprika, and parsley – but feel free to get creative and use other favorite seasonings to make the dish your own. An egg will help the milk to stick to and create a coating around each piece to create that cruncch and flavor. You can also choose to dip your chicken in buttermilk, hot sauce, or even stout beer as a replacement or addition to the milk bath set up.
Once this stage is prepped, you’ll need to use a high-quality oil with a high smoke point to get the ideal texture. Most people love the flavor and texture of peanut oil for frying, but you can also use canola oil or vegetable oil. The trick is to heat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit so the inside and outside of your chicken is cooked to perfection.
– 1 large chicken cut into 7-8 pieces
– 1 cup milk
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 2 tablespoons parsley
– 1 egg
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 cup high-quality, high-smoke-point oil
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, egg, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika til well combined.
2. Put the flour in a shallow bowl.
3. Dip each piece of chicken into the milk mixture and then into the flour, shaking off the excess flour.
4. Repeat with the other pieces of chicken until all are coated.
5. Heat the oil in a large skillet to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Put the chicken pieces in the skillet with the skin side down.
7. Cook for 7 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
8. Remove from the skillet and place on a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
9. Serve and enjoy!
The beauty of fried chicken is in its simplicity. All you need is great ingredients, well-seasoned flour, and hot oil – the rest will take care of itself. With the right technique, you can make amazing fried chicken in a matter of minutes.
Whether you prefer bite-sized pieces or the traditional bone-in variety, fried chicken is an all-American favorite that continues to reign supreme in households from the Southwest to the Northeast. By following this simple recipe you’ll be able to indulge in the beloved dish for an effortless meal in the comfort of your own kitchen. So don’t wait any longer and give it a go – you’ll be making this American fried chicken time and time again. Enjoy!