Delightful Algerian Chakhchoukha
Algerian Chakhchoukha is a popular North African dish made with simple ingredients. It is a type of pasta-based dish with added vegetables, fresh herbs, and exotic spices. This flavorful dish comes from the Kabyle region of Algeria, and is enjoyed by locals and tourists alike! Chakhchoukha can be served as a main dish, side dish, or even for breakfast.
The combination of ingredients in this dish results in a delicious and savory flavor. The tomatoes and eggplant provide both moisture and texture, while the spices add an extra layer of flavor. The dish is also great for vegetarians, since the vegetables provide tons of protein.
Whether you’re looking for a simple meal or something new to try, Algerian Chakhchoukha is an excellent dish to make. The ingredients are readily available and the preparation is relatively easy. So let’s get started!
Recipe: Algerian Chakhchoukha
– 1 large eggplant
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 8 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
– 2 cups chopped tomatoes
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
– 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
– 1 teaspoon harissa paste (or more to taste)
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 500 g macaroni
– 1 tablespoon vinegar
– 3 tablespoons of toasted and ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
2. Cut the eggplant into cubes and spread onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and fry until lightly golden, about 1 minute.
4. Add the cumin and coriander and stir for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir. Cook for another 4 minutes.
6. Add the roasted eggplant and stir until combined. Add the parsley and cilantro and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
7. Add the harissa paste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
9. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, almonds and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
9. To serve, combine the macaroni and the tomato-eggplant sauce. Top with the almond mixture.
Algerian Chakhchoukha is a flavorful and savory dish that is perfect for a simple meal or for entertaining. The combination of hearty eggplant, tomatoes and herbs, together with the aromatic spices, is absolutely delicious. Give this traditional North African dish a try and savor the delicious flavors!